Barbecue Grill Safety
Never burn charcoal inside of homes, vehicles, tents or campers.

Each year about 600 fires/explosions occur with gas grills, causing injuries. Many of the accidents happen the first time a grill is ignited for the season or after the grill's gas container is refilled and reattached.  NEVER, under any circumstance, should you leave a grill alone when it is in use.  Grilling does have fire involved, and accidents can happen. Fire spreads quickly, so being aware of your grill could mean the difference between a small fire that is quickly extinguished, and a visit from the fire department.  Before you plan your next outdoor cookout, review these safety tips.

Gas Grill Safety Tips:
Check grill hoses for cracking, brittleness, holes and leaks. Make sure there are no sharp bends in the hose or tubing. Make sure your grill's propane tank has a three-prong gas valve handle. As of April 1, 2002, the three-prong design replaced a five-prong handle as the safety
  • Always keep propane gas containers upright.
  • Never store a spare gas container under or near the grill or indoors.
  • Never store or use flammable liquids, like gasoline, near the grill.
  • Never keep a filled container in a hot car or car trunk. Heat will cause the gas pressure to increase, which may open the relief valve and allow gas to escape.
  • Make sure your spark igniter is consistently generating a spark to create a flame and burn the propane gas. If the flame is not
visible, the heavier-than-air propane  gas may be escaping and could cause an explosion.
  • Never bring the propane tank into the house.
  • When using barbecue grills on decks or patios, be sure to leave sufficient space
from siding and eaves. NEVER place a hot grill against a wall, even if the fire
is already completely out.  A hot grill can heat up an exterior wall to the point of combustion.
  • Also, do not put the grill cover back on until you are sure that the grill is completely cool.
  • Keep children and pets far away from grills.

Charcoal Grill Safety Tips
  • Keep in mind that charcoal when burned in grills produces carbon monoxide (CO).
  • CO is a colorless, odorless gas that can accumulate to toxic levels in closed environments. Each year about 17 people die as a result of CO fumes
from charcoal being burned indoors or in a poorly ventilated area.
  • Never burn charcoal inside of homes, vehicles, tents or campers.
  • Charcoal should never be used indoors, even if ventilation is provided.
  • Since charcoal produces CO fumes until the charcoal is completely extinguished, do not store the grill indoors with freshly used coals.


Credits and Sources
  • Erie Insurance Co.
  • Derrick Riches, About.com
  • eHow.com
  • Food and Cooking on Squidoo




Grilling Safety Tips - Part 1
Grilling Safety Tips - Part 2